Sunday, November 26, 2017

LOVE OF THE VEGAN





I just got a “friend request” from a vegan. Nothing on her timeline indicated that there might be any simpatico between us, and so I deleted the request. However, out of curiosity, I began to survey her photos. Some were so touching – humans embracing animals with grateful looks on their faces.

I began to regret that I had deleted the request. I was touched by her compassion and commitment to these vulnerable and seemingly relieved animals. It made me think of God’s creation. All had been herbivores, and God was delighted with His creation. However, the Fall into sin and death changed everything for everyone. Even the animal kingdom had to pay the price. Nevertheless, Scripture assures us that God still loves and cares for His entire creation (Matthew 6:30).

However, I am an omnivore. I eat anything. How can I continue this way, knowing that animals are suffering at my expense? After their sin, God clothed the first couple in animal skins. Knowing that their sin had to be covered, Adam and Eve laughably covered themselves with fig leaves. However, even at this early junction, God presumably wanted to show them that their own attempts at fig leaves was not able to cover their guilt. Instead, God had to cover it with the death of animals, slain instead of those who deserved it.

The Creator also required their children, Cain and Abel, to make animal sacrifices (although Cain had convinced himself that offering his veggies would be sufficient – Genesis 4:3-7). After the worldwide flood, God also gave permission to the human race to eat animals (Genesis 9:3). The New Testament even went beyond the Old’s dietary restrictions by proclaiming that all animals were now fit to eat.

Nevertheless, it sometimes bothers me to eat animals. However, I remind myself of a hidden lesson preached alongside of eating animals. They continue to die because of our sins (the Fall). Therefore, as I eat meat, I want to remind myself that sin is costly. It is abhorrent to God as it should be to us. It also serves as a reminder that God loves us so much, He is even willing to temporarily sacrifice His beloved creation on our account.

Sin and death are not going to last forever. The vegan will see the day when Jesus returns to restore the creation to what its Creator had intended:

·       The wolf shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the young goat, and the calf and the lion and the fattened calf together; and a little child shall lead them. The cow and the bear shall graze; their young shall lie down together; and the lion shall eat straw like the ox. The nursing child shall play over the hole of the cobra, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the adder’s den. They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain; for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea. (Isaiah 11:6-9; ESV)

Truth and love will win. We will see the true heart of God, and He will dry every tear, even every animal tear.

No comments: