Sunday, March 14, 2021

WALKING ON WATER

 


The Christian life is a struggle. It centers on one question, which clings to me as a ball-and-chain - “Will I obsess about myself and my problems, or will I focus on the only answer - Jesus?” It’s a choice!
 
Peter had been gripped by this problem. He and the other disciples were in their boat in the middle of the sea, when a storm overtook them during the night. Suddenly, they saw Jesus walking on the water towards them. Peter yelled out:
 
• “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.”(Matthew‬ ‭14:28-30‬)
 
Peter was doing well while he kept his attention on Jesus. However, the threat of the waves captured his attention, and he began to sink.
 
Okay, I’ve never walked on the water, but God’s Word would often make me feel that I could venture out and confront the waves. However, once confronted by the waves, I too would take my focus off Jesus and begin to sink into fear.
 
I realized that the waves were too great for me. Nevertheless, I became a deer trapped by the oncoming headlights, unable to move. However, the impetuous Peter cried out to Jesus and was rescued.
 
The threats of life are greater than we are. We cannot even add a single hour to our lives. These threats should teach us that we cannot trust in ourselves but in God alone. This was a lesson that Paul also had to learn:
 
• For we do not want you to be unaware, brothers, of the affliction we experienced in Asia. For we were so utterly burdened beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death. But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead. (2 Corinthians‬ ‭1:8-9)
 
It seems that, daily, I must re-calibrate to trust in the Lord. Presently, I’m down with a back that doesn’t seem to be getting better. I wake up in terror with the fear that, “It’s not getting any better, and it should be! What’s the matter with me? I don’t know what to do!” Terror-stricken, I can no longer sleep. My faith is as filmy as wet toilet paper. But then I remember that, “When I fear, I will trust in the Lord.” I also recall that the Lord allows such trials to refine our faith and character:
 
• Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.‭‭(Romans‬ ‭5:3-5‬)
 
Yes, I should be rejoicing. These infirmities are the very gifts I need to become more Christlike.
 
• Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. ‭‭(James‬ ‭1:2-4‬)
 
Armed with these truths, I am again willing to brave the waves. Why? In Christ, we cannot lose. We are victors.
 
Also, I must remind myself to not be tempted to refocus on my toilet-paper faith but upon God, for whom the smallest measure of faith is enough. Therefore, we are called to walk on the water with the assurance that our Savior is close at hand.

No comments: