Tuesday, August 9, 2022

FEAR, WORRY, AND ANXIETY

 


 

I know something about these torments. They grow in my garden like weeds. However, the Bible asks us to be thankful even when thankfulness opposes what we are experiencing—fear and anxiety:

·       do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)

Even prior to these verses, the Bible asks us to “rejoice in the Lord always” (Phil. 4:4). But how can we, when our anxieties are telling us that we have no reason to rejoice or to be thankful?

However, Scripture tells us that God’s truths, exhortations, and promises take precedence over our feelings, fears, and “understanding.” They tell us to trust in God and rejoice even when it feels disingenuous (Proverbs 3:5-7):

·       Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. (Philippians 4:4)

Therefore, a humbling step of faith is required:

·       Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you…And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. (1 Peter 5:6-10)

How do we humble ourselves before Him? By trusting in Him, even when our own “understanding” tells us that there is something terribly wrong!

I have been learning to accept my tormenting fears especially since I cannot rid myself of them. They drive me to cry out to the Lord, and He comforts me, as He has promised:

·       “When he calls to me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.” (Psalm 91:15–16)

There are even times when I miss my tormentors. Why? They bring me closer to my God who shows me:

·       …“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)

2 comments:

Lazarus said...

Thank you, Danny. As one with fears and torments of her own,
I appreciate your good words very much.

Anne Ross

Daniel Mann said...

Anne, Thanks for your encouraging words. we now have you on our prayer list!