Saturday, October 1, 2022

LET US COME INTO HIS PRESENCE WITH THANKSGIVING (Psalm 95:2)

 


 

My human tendency, before anything else, is to come before the Lord with my needs. However, I am learning that there are so many reasons to start with praise, rejoicing, and thanksgiving

·       Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (1 Thessalonians 5:16–18; Philippians 4:4-7)

This is no longer a burden for me. Praising God is not something that God needs but that I need. I need to focus on the glory of God and what He has already done for me before I bring Him my petitions. This order is also reflected in the Lord’s Prayer. It starts with God rather than my needs:

·       “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. (Matthew 6:9–13)

The focus upon God and His glory must precede our needs and requests. Why? God demands it:

·       I will praise the name of God with a song; I will magnify him with thanksgiving. This will please the LORD more than an ox or a bull with horns and hoofs. (Psalm 69:30–31)

But why does God demand praise? Some wrongly claim that this is proof that God is egotistical. Instead, I am convinced that what may appear egotistical is an expression of God’s love and for our good. Even Jesus sought to praise, glorify, and to love His Father. His nourishment was to do the will of the Father:

·       Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work. (John 4:34; Isaiah 11:3)

Serving and praising the Father was even His joy and delight:

·       “I delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.” (Psalm 40:8)

It was also David’s delight:

·       I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word. (Psalm 119:16, 24, 47, 70, 77, 92, 143, 174)

Praising God has also become my delight. When I first approach Him with my tearful needs, I am seldom uplifted or edified. However, when I begin by praising Him for being my Helper, Deliverer, and my only Hope, I am uplifted in spirit. I must praise who He is and what He has done for me. I must also remind myself that He loves me so much (Ephesians 3:19-20) and has proved it by dying for our sins when we were still His enemies (Romans 5:8-10). To remind me I always carry meditation verses along with me.

Yes, He does hear us when we cry out “Help me Jesus.” Instead, when we can, “Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving.” (Psalm 95:2)

Consequently, I now regard prayer and praise as far more than a duty but also as a great privilege.

 

 

 

No comments: