Thursday, December 1, 2022

IS GOD UNMOVED BY OUR SUFFERING?


 
For a long time, I couldn’t shake this doubt. Maybe worse, He even enjoyed watching our suffering. However, Scripture finally overturned my doubting. 
 
Our Lord suffers along with us:

·       Isaiah 63:9 In all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence [Jesus] saved them; in his love and in his pity he redeemed them; he lifted them up and carried them all the days of old.
 
·       Hebrews 4:15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.
 
·       Romans 8:22-23, 26 For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies…Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. [He groans for us.]
 
He loves us beyond anything that we can imagine and will eventually “marry” us:
 
·       Ephesians 3:19 and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
 
·       Isaiah 43:1, 4 …“Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine…Because you are precious in my eyes, and honored, and I love you, I give men in return for you, peoples in exchange for your life.”
 
·       Isaiah 54:4–5 “Fear not, for you will not be ashamed; be not confounded, for you will not be disgraced; for you will forget the shame of your youth, and the reproach of your widowhood you will remember no more. For your Maker is your husband…”
 
·       Hosea 2:19–20 And I will betroth you to me forever. I will betroth you to me in righteousness and in justice, in steadfast love and in mercy. I will betroth you to me in faithfulness. And you shall know the LORD. (Also Ephesians 5:29-30)
 
The ultimate proof of His love—the cross:

·       Romans 5:8–10 but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life.
 
Ultimately, the cross proved to me that God really loves me—something I must remember all the time!
 
 

No comments: