Saturday, November 14, 2015

DOES GOD’S FOREKNOWLEDGE CANCEL OUT ANY POSSIBILITY OF FREEWILL?




It has been claimed that if God is omniscient – this means that He has perfect foreknowledge – we cannot have freewill. Why not?

1.     If God has perfect foreknowledge, the future must happen the way that God knew it would happen from even before He created the world.
2.     Therefore, the only choice we will make is the one that He foreknew that we would make.
3.     CONCLUSION: Since we will not act otherwise, we lack freewill.

However, the conclusion doesn’t follow logically from premise #1 and #2. Although, as a Christian, I accept premise #1 and #2, the second part of the conclusion does not logically follow from them.

Although I WILL act as God foreknows I will act, it doesn’t follow that I COULD NOT act otherwise. I could have acted otherwise, but I simply chose not to! Consequently, God is perfectly omniscient, and yet we still freely choose.

No comments: