Thursday, February 8, 2018

CHRISTIAN CONFUSION





I think that Christians are often confused about forgiveness and justice, requiring us choose between the one or the other. An example of what I am talking about is a quotation I hijacked from the timeline of a Facebook friend:

·       “Justice does not build or heal communities. Forgiveness does. Jesus Christ gave up His rights, submitting Himself to an unjust death on the cross. He offered salvation to us while we were still sinners. Because of what He did, we offer unconditional forgiveness to those who cause injury, pain, and suffering in this life. The surprising thing is that offering forgiveness changes us first—-and then it multiplies with the power to transform communities.” (Celestin Musekura, founder of: African Leadership and Reconciliation Ministries)

In contrast to Musekura, I think that “Justice does (not) build or heal communities.” It is justice and our trust in justice that allows us to live in peace with one another. It assures us that we do not need to take justice into our own hands but can entrust our security to the government (Romans 13:1-4). It is the confidence that another party will maintain peace and justice that enables us to reach out in love to our neighbors and not fear them. When there is no confidence in the provision of justice, we fear and become defensive. It is lawlessness that tears down our communities and forces us to live behind locked doors and closed mouths.

Nevertheless, I would agree with Musekura about the primacy of forgiveness. However, this is a personal requirement. I wouldn’t want a policeman to forgive the arsonist who is about to burn down my house or the kidnapper who is about to kidnap my daughter. Instead, I would expect the police to do their duty and arrest the rapist before he rapes someone’s children.

It is because I love my neighbor that I will report the rapist or arsonist to the police. If it became known that I refused to report him, I would understandably bring disrepute upon my faith.

Musekura seems to think that Jesus would not have supported the justice system. While Jesus did teach us to love and to even “turn the other cheek,” He also upheld the Mosaic legal system:

·       Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:19)

Even though He had many disagreements with the “scribes and the Pharisees,” Jesus upheld their authority:

·       “The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses’ seat, so do and observe whatever they tell you, but not the works they do. For they preach, but do not practice. (Matthew 23:2-3)

Both forgiveness and justice are necessary. I am required to forgive my enemy. However, I am not to maintain a jail in my basement or have my own personal posse. Instead, justice is the role of the government, and I’m glad about this. It is the justice system that enables me to love and to forgive as I must.

No comments: