Sunday, March 11, 2018

ANGELA DUCKWORTH, GRIT, AND PERSEVERANCE THROUGH FAILURE





In her recent book, Grit, Angela Duckworth has discovered something that we have known for a long time. More important than IQ or innate ability is Grit – the willingness to persevere. Some students are slower than others, but if they persevere, they can eventually surpass the most gifted. https://youtu.be/H14bBuluwB8

However, how do we get grit? I know how not to get grit. I had become the chess champion of my high school. I felt so good about this that I entered into the state championship, but I was eliminated in my first match.

What went wrong? In retrospect, I understood that my entire self-esteem was at stake in my performance. When I lost, I was devastated and gave up on chess. I couldn’t take the defeat. In fact, I avoided all things that might result in failure, and this narrowed my life considerably. I dropped out of college three times. Eventually, I even rejected society and became part of the “tune, turn on, and drop out” sub-culture.

However, I eventually finished my BA and earned a Masters degree. I now teach and write. I still don’t like failure, but something had changed. Now, I have a little more grit. Why? My self-image is now changed. It is no longer utterly dependent upon my performance. Admittedly, I still want to succeed, and it doesn’t feel good when I don’t succeed, but now my self-image rests upon a different foundation. I now have the assurance that God loves me and will never leave me, even if success and recognition flee far from me and the world rejects me. I know that my Savior will never reject me:

·       I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20)

Knowing the Savior has freed me.

No comments: