Thursday, March 1, 2018

FALSE BELIEFS ARE STREET DRUGS





Atheists attack Christian faith in a number of ways. One favorite way is to claim that we believe in Jesus simply because we want to believe in Him for the benefits we derive. This strategy takes many forms. One atheist just charged:

·       Is it more logical to think that your god has individual thoughts and feelings and makes judgements on every individual, or does it seem more like we personified an idea that we use to excuse our lack of knowledge of the unknown, to help calm our fear of it?

The atheist charged that I believe in the God of the Bible because I find these beliefs more comforting than others. However, we can turn this around and charge:

·       The reason that you, Mr. Atheist, are attacking my beliefs is that you too are finding this comforting. Perhaps humiliating a Christian is your form of conquest, empowerment, or one-upmanship for you. Or perhaps you are angered or threatened by the Christian God. If my personal motives are supposed to denigrate my beliefs, perhaps your personal motives should serve to denigrate your beliefs. Perhaps instead, you fear my God and fear being judged. Perhaps you are afraid of a God who can see into you, and you do not want anything to interfere with your autonomy.

Ultimately, our faith and beliefs should rest upon the evidence, just as Jesus required:

·       “If I alone bear witness about myself, my testimony is not true. There is another who bears witness about me, and I know that the testimony that he bears about me is true.  You sent to John, and he has borne witness to the truth. Not that the testimony that I receive is from man, but I say these things so that you may be saved. He was a burning and shining lamp, and you were willing to rejoice for a while in his light. But the testimony that I have is greater than that of John. For the works that the Father has given me to accomplish, the very works [miracles] that I am doing, bear witness about me that the Father has sent me.” (John 5:31-36)

Yes, we do derive many benefits through our beliefs in Jesus. However, self-deception is not a Biblical option, even if it is comforting. Besides, if our beliefs are not based upon truth, they will take and their toll and their “benefits” will be as short-lived as any street drug.

No comments: