Friday, May 11, 2018

TRUSTING IS REMEMBERING




Why do we sometimes find it so hard to trust in the Lord? I have been struggling lately with the fact that bad things happen to good Christians. We often become martyrs. How then can I trust the Lord with my comparatively little worries, when I read about Christians who are forced to convert or into sex slavery?

The Psalmist, King David, was also confronted with such enemies:

  • Turn, O Lord, deliver my life; save me for the sake of your steadfast love...I am weary with my moaning; every night I flood my bed with tears; I drench my couch with my weeping. My eye wastes away because of grief; it grows weak because of all my foes. (Psalms 6:4, 6-7 ESV)

However, David then expressed hope and the certainty of his deliverance:

  • Depart from me, all you workers of evil, for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping. The Lord has heard my plea; the Lord accepts my prayer. All my enemies shall be ashamed and greatly troubled; they shall turn back and be put to shame in a moment. (Psalms 6:8-10)

How did he know that the Lord had heard his prayer? In other Psalms, we read:

  • I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your wonders of old. I will ponder all your work, and meditate on your mighty deeds. (Psalms 77:11-12)

  • Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually! Remember the wondrous works that he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he uttered. (Psalms 105:4-5)

David also practiced remembering what the Lord had done for him:

  • For the enemy has pursued my soul; he has crushed my life to the ground; he has made me sit in darkness like those long dead. Therefore my spirit faints within me; my heart within me is appalled. I remember the days of old; I meditate on all that you have done; I ponder the work of your hands. I stretch out my hands to you; my soul thirsts for you like a parched land...And in your steadfast love you will cut off my enemies, and you will destroy all the adversaries of my soul, for I am your servant. (Psalms 143:3-6, 12)

After remembering, David re-asserted his faith in the Lord. This is where he would take his stand. This is also where I am learning to stand, “for I am your servant.”

I still don’t understand why it seems that He had let down others - those who were killed or who had committed suicide. Perhaps it was merciful, or perhaps the Lord had given them the grace to endure the ordeal. 

I don’t know, but I do know what He has done for me, and I know the promises of deliverance He has given to all His children (1 Corinthians 10:13).

I would like to walk in the confidence of complete understanding. However, He will only allow me to proceed in the assurance of the faith, a faith that will not allow me to take my eyes off Him.

No comments: