Tuesday, May 12, 2020

WHY GOD REQUIRES THE DEATH OF CHILDREN




The morality of the God of the Hebrew Scriptures is often impugned. Someone understandably asked, “How can a just God require the lives of the Egyptian firstborn sons?” I cannot answer this question fully or even with satisfaction, but here is my feeble attempt:

·       First of all, the Scriptures assure us that our God is just: Romans 3:5-6 (NKJV) “But if our unrighteousness demonstrates the righteousness of God, what shall we say? Is God unjust who inflicts wrath? (I speak as a man.) Certainly not! For then how will God judge the world?” if He is unjust!

·       If seems that many instances of His wrath serve to reinforce the idea that parents are responsible for the welfare of their children. God will not allow them to suppose, “I can live as I want, and my sins will not affect the lives of my children.” As a probation officer, several of my probationers had informed me, “I now have to get my life together for the sake of my children.” They correctly understood that God would not give their children immunity from their sins.

·       It seems that the death of their firstborn sons was a just punishment for what the Egyptians had been doing to their Israelite slaves – murdering their sons.

I realize that even this is a very incomplete answer. Therefore, I also think that we need to consider the fact that we cannot fully appreciate the justice of God without also looking to eternity for our answers:

·       Romans 8:18 “For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”

Our Lord will judge us justly, according to our deeds and understanding, according to Jesus:

·       Luke 12:47-48 “And that servant who knew his master's will, and did not prepare himself or do according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. But he who did not know, yet committed things deserving of stripes, shall be beaten with few. For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required; and to whom much has been committed, of him they will ask the more.”

We do not know how these principles will be applied in heaven and hell, although we know that they apply to the ultimate fate of children who do not have the understanding (or the sins) of adults. There are many mysteries. However, I am assured that our Lord is both just and merciful.

No comments: