Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Heart Separates; The Heart Unites


The desires and inclinations of our heart become the foundation for all our subsequent thinking. This is why we continue to go round-and-round without any resolution in certain conversations. Consequently, one atheist responded that I’ve never answered any of his challenges, while I had thought that I had answered all of them! Here’s my response to him:

It shouldn’t amaze me that two people can look at the same facts and come up with entirely opposite conclusions. This is because the battle – the differences between us – isn’t a matter of facts, but of the inclinations of our hearts. The Bible is very cognizant of the essentially determinative nature of the heart, and so the writer of Proverbs prays:

Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the LORD?' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God. (Proverbs 30:8-9)

He understands so profoundly the need for suitable conditions to nurture our thinking. Too much and we become proud and go astray. I think that this is the problem we experience today – our plenty and successes breed atheism.

No comments: