Friday, September 6, 2013

Has God Changed His Mind regarding Homosexuality?




Does God do new things that violate His Word? Emergent Church guru, Tony Jones, claims that He does! Here, he lashes out against a critic of his pro-gay agenda:

  • As I’ve warned my conservative brothers and sisters in Christ before, Denny had better beware of committing the unforgivable sin of blaspheming the Holy Spirit. If God’s Spirit is doing a new thing [by now promoting homosexuality], but they claim it’s the devil, well, let’s just say that the stakes are high.

Here’s my response to Jones:

Tony,

Despite your warning that God might be doing a new thing (in regards to homosexuality) and therefore I might be resisting the Holy Spirit, blaspheming against Him, I’m just not too worried. This is because Scripture assures me that I can trust in the Lord and the Word He has given us:

  • Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, they have no light of dawn.

  • 1 Cor. 4:6 Now, brothers, I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us the meaning of the saying, "Do not go beyond what is written."

  • John 15:7-10 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you…If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love.

  • 2 Cor. 10:5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we TAKE CAPTIVE EVERY THOUGHT TO MAKE IT OBEDIENT TO CHRIST.

  • 1 Tim. 6:3-5 If anyone teaches false doctrines and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, he is conceited and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions and constant friction between men of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain.

  • Deut. 13:1-4 If a prophet, or one who foretells by dreams, appears among you and announces to you a miraculous sign or wonder, and if the sign or wonder of which he has spoken takes place, and he says, "Let us follow other gods" (gods you have not known) "and let us worship them," you must not listen to the words of that prophet or dreamer. The Lord your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and with all your soul. It is the Lord your God you must follow, and him you must revere. Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him.

Consequently, I do not fear that God might now be opposing His Word. In fact, His Word stands forever (Isaiah 40:8).

No comments: