Friday, March 21, 2014

No Tolerance for the Real Jesus




There are many postmodern, agnostic and progressive “Christians” who are attempting to redefine the Gospel and the words of our Lord. Here is a statement by one of them followed by my response:

“I actually believe the very confidence and comfort you preach to be a far cry from what Jesus taught.”

The question of comfort is ubiquitously affirmed in the words of Jesus. For example:

  •  “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” ( Matthew 11:28-30)

The question of confidence in his teachings underpins so much of what He taught. He taught about knowledge and its impact on our freedom:

  • To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (John 8:31-32)

This truth cannot set you free unless it is KNOWN and UNDERSTOOD, in contrast with your agnosticism.

Besides, as God, He could open our understanding so that we could truly know:

  • Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. He told them, “This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day,  and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. (Luke 24:45-47)

He also guaranteed that the Holy Spirit would lead His sometimes slow Apostles into all truth:

  • “But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.” (John 14:26; 15:26) 

Clearly, Jesus wasn’t a radical skeptic, postmodernist progressive. He believed in truth and our ability to objectively understand it. He therefore sent His disciples out with these words:

  • “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.” (Matthew 28:19-20)

There was no question about His meaning being lost in a subjective haze. In light of this, your invented and currently fashionable religion is not the religion of Jesus. I would therefore suggest that you don’t call yourself “Christian.” It is both misleading and disingenuous.

No comments: