Friday, September 25, 2015

THE BURDENSOME RESTRICTIONS OF SCRIPTURE





Many are unwilling to be bound be the dictates of Scripture. One “Christian” stated that, for him, the Spirit working in His life trumped Scripture. However, nothing must trump Scripture:

  • Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one SPEAKING THE VERY WORDS OF GOD. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. (1 Peter 4:10-11)
If we wish to praise and glorify God, we must bring our words into conformity with His  Words of truth. Otherwise, we are not serving Him. Even Jesus boasted that His words were not His own but the very words of the Father.

Isaiah made a similar claim:

  • When men tell you to consult mediums and spiritists, who whisper and mutter, should not a people inquire of their God? Why consult the dead on behalf of the living? To the law and to the testimony! IF THEY DO NOT SPEAK ACCORDING TO THIS WORD, THEY HAVE NO LIGHT OF DAWN. (Isaiah 8:19-20)
Consequently, no one would be justified in claiming:

  • I have the Spirit or God leading me, and this takes precedence over the Scriptures.
In fact, Scripture never affirms such a queer notion. Why not? Because the Spirit is the author of Scripture:

  • Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation. For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but MEN SPOKE FROM GOD AS THEY WERE CARRIED ALONG BY THE HOLY SPIRIT. (2 Peter 1:20-21)
Therefore, we have no basis to separate God from His Word and charge us with bibliolatry – the worship of the Bible.  

How then does this “Christian” know that he is being led by the Spirit if the Word is just a secondary artifact for him! Perhaps he is being led by a deceiving spirit. Instead, the way we love God is by keeping His Word:

  • Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him… If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.” (John 14:21-24)
Consequently, a Christian is one who obeys the Word.

No comments: