We are tormented by the doubt that we do not know if we have made the right decision and that we are in the will of God. I certainly had been. However, learning more about God has freed me from this doubt.
First of all, He promises to guide us:
- A man's steps are directed by the LORD. How then can anyone understand his own way? (Proverbs 20:24)
He guides us through our understanding:
- Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12:2)
If we are going in the wrong direction, He reveals this to us:
- Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you. Only let us hold true to what we have attained. (Philippians 3:15-16)
However, unconfessed sin will place a barrier between ourselves and God. And what if we fail to perceive His guidance or His voice? No matter! Our God is so great that He is able to lead us infallibly, whether we hear Him or not:
- Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. (Psalm 139:16)
- In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. (Prov. 16:9)
This is beyond our understanding – how it is that we are responsible for our lives, and yet God is even more responsible. Nevertheless, this combination is thoroughly biblical:
- The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD; he directs it like a watercourse wherever he pleases. (Proverbs 21:1)
The king is responsible for his freewill choices even as the Lord guides him to do what He has ordained.
This means that our Lord is able to guide His enemies to do just what He wants them to do. (And yet, they are fully responsible!) He certainly did that with the kings He brought against Israel. And if He can do that with pagans, He certainly can guide those who want His guidance. Therefore, we can cast all of our fears and concerns upon Him. He’s got a plan for our lives and will fulfill it:
- For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. (Ephesians 2:10)
Even when we make sinful decisions, He is still able to bring good out of them, even though they might bring painful chastening:
- And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)
In Him, we are safe and can confidently place our minds on our God:
- “But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.” (Matthew 6:33-34)
Entrust your concerns to our Lord!