Wednesday, March 7, 2018

THE SELF-HELP INDUSTRY





I am a member of a number of Facebook self-group groups addressing the problems of self-harm, depression, and anxiety. Often, they will not post my essays because they point to Christ as the answer. Once in a while, a group administrator will graciously write back to explain why they will post my essay. Just today, one administrator explained that they cannot post anything of a religious nature because some might find it offensive.

I thanked her for responding and informed her that I would remove myself from her group because everything that I write is of a religious nature. Christ had rescued me from decades of depression and panic attacks, and so He has become the center of all of my endeavors.

I added that her self-help group was also religious in nature. It is based on the belief that we have the answers and resources within us. As such, it is a God-substitute. Instead of relying upon God, modern secularism’s hidden assumption is that “I’ve got what it takes.” However, this is rarely seen as a religion but as an unassailable “truth” that has become so much a part of our secular culture that it is barely recognized.

However, we do not have what it takes. This is why we continue to be plagued with depression, self-harm, and a wide variety of other afflictions, and then we die, despite our many resources.

Ironically, while some may take offense at “religion,” some will also take offense at whatever the advice or teaching that is offered. Should then all advice and teachings be banned? Of course, this question is ridiculous, but it does illustrate the point that simply because someone might find a religion offensive shouldn’t require its being banned.


If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? (Romans 8:31-32)

No comments: