Friday, May 17, 2019

WHAT IS THE ETERNAL FATE OF THE ABORTED OR THE STILLBORN?




The short answer is that the Bible doesn't explicitly deal with this issue, but it does give us some guidance. For example, in one parable, Jesus taught that we will be judged according to what we know and what we have been given:

·       “And that servant who knew his master's will but did not get ready or act according to his will, will receive a severe beating. But the one who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, will receive a light beating. Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more.” (Luke 12:47-48)

However, the aborted and the stillborn did not know the master's will; nor did they have the opportunity to do any wrong. This teaching assures us that God’s judgment depends upon more than just what we believe. He will also judge our deeds based upon the intentions of our heart:

·       “I the LORD search the heart and test the mind, to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his deeds.” (Jeremiah 17:10)

This means that He will more severely judge intentional sins (Numbers 15:30; Deuteronomy 17:12; Psalm 19:13; Hebrews 10:26), indicating that God judges justly. However, it is hard to conceive how the pre-born might have intentionally sinned. However, does this guarantee them a place in heaven? Perhaps not, but it would seem to make God unjust to consign them to hell.

King David words are often cited to provide hope regarding a baby who dies. David was confident that he would see his deceased baby from his adulterous relationship with Bathsheba in heaven (2 Samuel 12:23). However, this says nothing definitive about the fate of other babies.

But why would God judge also Canaanite babies by ordering the destruction of the Canaanite cities? For one thing, this challenge doesn’t address the question of eternal judgment, but it does teach that children will reap what their parents have sown, something that should be obvious to all of us.

I had been a probation officer for many years and had repeatedly heard probationers assure me:

·       Mr. Mann, I am now a father, and I need to do the right thing by my kids.

Although they might not have followed through, they were clearly serious about their responsibility. Concern for the welfare of our children causes us to grow up. What if instead, God guaranteed that our children would not have to pay the price for our sin? We would never grow up.

Why doesn't God tell us explicitly about the ultimate fate of our babies who have died? I think that there are certain things He will not tell us, because we cannot handle such truths. What if He told us, "Don't worry about your stillborn. They will all go to heaven?" Many thoughtful mothers might be tempted to abort their children in order to guarantee them eternal bliss.

Instead, God has kept His secrets for our own good. Right before I had come to faith in Jesus, I had a horrible chainsaw injury that had cut my wrist halfway off. I was bleeding to death in a pool of blood, when I suddenly realized that God was present, although I didn’t know His identity. However, I knew that He loved me and would protect me. I was certain that even if I died, He would be there to take care of me. I was ecstatic.

I was miraculously rescued and awoke the next morning in the hospital with my surgeon at my side. He instructed me that I would have to begin to move my hand lest my fingers would lock in place. However, I disregarded him. Instead, I was sure that the God who had rescued me had made any efforts on my part totally irrelevant. Therefore, I didn’t exercise my hand and my last two fingers subsequently froze-up.

A little knowledge can be dangerous knowledge. Even though our God is omnipotent and sovereign over our lives, this does not excuse us from our responsibilities. I had been right about the character of God but lacked the maturity to apply these truths to my life.

There are reasons that God keeps secrets (Deuteronomy 29:29). Perhaps this is why we have no explicit Bible references to the fate of aborted babies. Yet, we know our God, and this gives us hope. Perhaps hope is better than sight.


One Last Note – Many women are experiencing crippling guilt and shame for having aborted their baby. They need to know that there is forgiveness in Jesus. King David’s sin had caused the death of Bathsheba’s husband Uriah and David’s first child with her. One would wonder if anything good could come out of this adulterous and bloody union. However, out of all David’s sons, God chose Solomon to be His king and named Him “Jedidiah,” “Beloved of God” (2 Samuel 12:24). This makes it apparent that our God delights in salvaging the unsalvageable.

No comments: