Friday, September 6, 2019

WHEN A BELIEF SYSTEM CONSISTENTLY PRODUCES IMMORALITY




I found it illuminating to read a theistic evolutionist’s account of his experiences with atheists on social media:

  • I don't agree with much of what you all say in here [an Apologetics page - Biblical Creationism] but I need to compliment you all on being adults. I don't get that on pages run by atheists. Atheists are hateful and narrow minded. The atheist pages I visit are horribly childish. They get so upset to hear an educated opposing view that they ban me in about a day. Atheists are the most insecure childish people out there. So no I don't believe the earth is less than 10,000 years old or that all life was wiped out by a giant flood. Yes evolution is real and no it doesn't counter the bible or religion. That is what upsets the atheists so much. I do appreciate that none of you seem to get too upset that I disagree.

I don’t have any sympathy for the beliefs of theistic (Christian) evolutionists. I feel that they have done more to undermine the Christian faith than have atheists.

However, what he has written about the social media atheist seems to represent many such atheist groups. Consequently, they do little to draw others to their cause.

Why are these atheist groups consistently characterized as “hateful and narrow minded” and “horribly childish?” I think that there are several reasons for this. Most obviously, they do not believe in a God to whom they must give account. Besides, they believe that morality is something that we just dream up. If morality is make-believe, there is no compelling reason to adhere to it. Therefore, they can simply run amuck, as did their brethren, the communists, who exterminated 100 million in a few short decades.

One last though: It has been my experience that most atheists deny the existence of freewill. As materialists, they tend to believe that everything is determined by the laws of science, even their choices. Consequently, they don’t believe that there is any rationale to hold them to account. Why then should they exercise self-control, if self-control is not really self-control but biochemical determinism, as with any animal!

We live according to our beliefs. Our actions are the fruit of our beliefs. This might be a good reason to encourage our atheist neighbor to explore an alternative belief system.

No comments: