Friday, November 1, 2019

“CHRISTIAN COUNSELING” CAN TAKE MANY DIFFERENT FORMS




MY RESPONSE TO A PHD CHRISTIAN COUNSELOR:

Thanks for soliciting my feedback. However, it seems that we are approaching the question of psychological improvement/growth from a very different perspective. While I respect the insights of positive psychology, stoicism, and Rational, Emotive Behavioral Therapy (REBT), I am convinced that they cannot offer us Christians anything that we do not already have:

·       All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

In contrast, you believe that we must also integrate the “insights” of the secular world. My conclusions about secular psychology also come from my years of having seen five highly recommended psychologists, each of which left me worse off than I had been before. Subsequently, I have also come to the conclusion that, in many ways, secular counseling (SC) is diametrically opposed to Christian counseling (CC):

·       Implicit to SC is self-trust, the belief that we have what it takes to meaningfully change our lives. This is opposed to trusting in God alone (Psalm 62; Jeremiah 17:5-7)
·       Often, this entails building self-esteem, regardless of whether or not it corresponds with reality. In contrast, Biblical counsel requires us to humble ourselves and to trust that God will build us up (Matthew 14:11; 23:12; Luke 18:14).
·       Consistent with this, SC depends upon techniques, which are extraneous to the Bible, while the Christian must trust in God through what He has given us in His Word.
·       Consequently, God receives all of the praise. However, we find that when people become successful (even when it comes to overcoming their issues through SC), it goes to their head, and they become proud. Just note the arrogance and hardness of the Israelite leadership in the Gospels.

This has led me to question some of your assumptions:

·       If something works for Christians, it will also work for non-Christians, unless it is based on beliefs that non-Christians are unwilling to accept.

·       On the other hand, what if Christian specific methods are not as effective as non-Christian methods? In these instances, I would say Christians should adjust their methods and their theology of methods. The potential issue of Christian specific methods is the assumption that correctly following Christ will guarantee psychological well-being, but that's not true. In fact, it's really just another version of the prosperity gospel. God promises us salvation from sin so we can spend eternity in heaven with Him. We'll get some benefits here and there along the way, but those aren't promised.

In contrast to your assumptions, the Bible teaches that Christ and His Word are all that we need:

·       See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority. (Colossians 2:8-10)

This doesn’t mean that I do not also read secular sources, perhaps to help illuminate what I already understand. However, everything has to be judged in light of the Gospel (2 Corinthians 10:4-5).

However, you suggest that following Christ is not enough. If you were talking about the need to call a plumber or an auto-mechanic, I would be more inclined to agree with you. However, you are referring to matters of psychological growth (and this requires spiritual truth), which is of central concern to the Scriptures, which assure us that we are being transformed by the renewal of our minds (Romans 12:2) according to the Word; that we are being glorified as we behold the things of our Lord (2 Corinthians 3:17-18).

Interestingly, I just answered a skeptic who argued that REBT is entirely consistent with the Bible:

“I agree that the way we think about a situation can make a great difference. For instance, when I am overwhelmed by life and perhaps also my own failures and weaknesses, there are “mental assurances” to which I resort, like:

·       Romans 8:28 “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.”

However, I think that there are certain key differences the Christian will have with REBT:

·       While, in itself, this thought is comforting and enables me to accept my setbacks, there is also a divine Being also at work in this process.
·       He illuminates the Bible teachings for me.
·       He authenticates this teaching for me, enabling me to see that He is actually working things out for good.
·       Even when I fail to see that, I recall how He has rescued me in so many ways from my depression.
·       Nevertheless, some things we must still patiently endure, like losing a spouse or a child, even as we continue to trust that there was also a purpose for this too.”

I would be glad to reflect upon any of your corrections.

No comments: