Tuesday, May 31, 2022

REJOICING ENABLES PEACE, CONTENTMENT, AND JOY IN THE LORD

 

 

The oft-forgotten answer to suffering is rejoicing. Initially, the Prophet Habakkuk found little reason to rejoice. His own nation was about to be destroyed by the Babylonians. However, Habakkuk concluded his book with a commitment to rejoice even in the worst of circumstances:
 
·       Though the fig tree should not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will take joy in the God of my salvation. God, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like the deer’s; he makes me tread on my high places. (Habakkuk 3:17-19)
 
Habakkuk had learned that there is something greater than our circumstances—the God who is able to lift us above them and to place our feet on solid joyful ground.
Rejoicing should fill all our hours and days as Paul had instructed:
 
·       Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Philippians 4:4)
 
Rejoicing, even when it feels inappropriate or burdensome is something we must do, not only for our survival, but it is also God’s gracious command for our own good:
 
·       Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)
 
In truth, we have much reason to rejoice, if only for our eternal salvation. King David wrote:
 
·       Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure. For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption. You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. (Psalm 16:9-11; Luke 10:20; Isaiah 61:10)
 
Eternity with our Savior is “fullness of joy!” Rejoicing in suffering also prepares us homecoming:
 
·       Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ’s sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed. (1 Peter 4:12-13)
 
Despite all these things, for years, rejoicing had been difficult for me. Either my troubled feelings would take precedence over the need to rejoice, or I would find this exercise to be laborious. I just couldn’t come up with the right words and trying to do so felt so artificial to me.
 
However, suffering persuaded me to take another look, as it had for many who had been imprisoned for their faith in Jesus. I found that I needed to allow His Words to direct my own. I printed out some of my favorite verses and I attached them to cards that I’d carry with me as I’d walk my floor reciting them.
 
This has proved to be such a rich blessing for me. Often, I’d awake in the middle of the night, tormented by concerns about my aging body. I now look forward to these times, which force me out of bed with my cards in hand.
 
This has not only enabled me to reconnect with my Lord in such a blessed way, rejoicing in Him has also taught me about what is of supreme and all-surpassing importance. My life is not about my depressing physical circumstances but about the Lord who grants me the strength to emerge from my dreary cocoon through praising Him. Thus, my weaknesses have become my strengths, enabling me to be content in all circumstances. But I will grant you that I am just learning.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel that way, especially when it comes to my temper.

Lowell Aaron Court said...

Good article -- I particularly enjoyed reading about your personal struggle with rejoicing while in pain or suffering.

Daniel Mann said...

anon:All our brethren have similar experiences: 1 Corinthians 10:12–13 (ESV)
12Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall.
13No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

Daniel Mann said...

Lowell, Thanks for taking time to read and to comment!

Rich said...

I remember when I would print out several of your (emailed) essays and then read them as I was traveling into NYC / NYSB on the LIRR. As usual, the LORD used your words in this essay to speak to me "where I am." How does He do this? Thanks for reminding me, brother Danny, that our rejoicing down here--yes, in sorrows--is preparing us for the unending & uninterrupted joy we will one-day exp[erience in His presence!

Daniel Mann said...

Rich, I'm so glad to hear from you and honored that you would print out my essays!