Sunday, January 15, 2023

IS THE GOD OF THE BIBLE NON-DUALISTIC?

 


 

A non-dualistic “Christian” had written that there is no distinction between God and His creation. Instead, they are One! In defense, he claimed that the Bible teaches that the creation is merely manifestations of God and cited:
 
·       Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
 
Even after it reads “It is no longer I who live,” it goes on to demonstrate a distinction between our Savior and ourselves by using the pronouns “I” and “me.” We are no longer swallowed up so that we have no independent existence. Rather, it is God who loves us. Consequently, it is about a relationship between two or more distinct people.
 
Besides, this verse claims that before we are saved, we did live. Therefore, according to this non-dualist, this suggests that we had been a full-blown individuals before we were saved but then we deprived of it.
 
Instead, there are Biblical ways to understand “It is no longer I who live,” but it is God who reigns in my life:

·       Philippians 2:12–13 …work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.
 
I love the fact that I am beloved by my Savior (distinction) and that He is in charge working all thinks together for my good. I therefore wrote to the non-dualist:
 
·       If you do belong to Jesus, I fear that you will have to endure great suffering in order to realize it is all about a God who loves you rather than One who will extinguish your individual existence.

No comments: