Sunday, September 9, 2018

I CAN’T DO IT





Self-examination can be painful and tedious, but it is necessary for almost any task we are trying to master. To improve, we examine our golf swing and tennis stroke to see what we are doing wrong. We even take lessons from the pro, who can more objectively correct us, and then we try to modify our swing accordingly.

This same principle also pertains to interpersonal relationships. We will always encounter bumps-in-the-road, which we can only learn to avoid by taking notice of how we are driving.

Does this principle also pertain to spiritual matters? Yes and no! On the one hand, we are instructed to examine ourselves:

·       The purpose in a man’s heart is like deep water, but a man of understanding will draw it out. (Proverbs 20:5 ESV)

·       But if we judged ourselves truly, we would not be judged. But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world. (1 Corinthians 11:31-32)

However, we often make the mistake in assuming that as we grow in self-examination, we also grow in self-mastery, like perfecting our golf swing. Why is this not so? Well, consider the warning of Jesus:

·       “Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.” (John 15:4-5)

Consequently, by the grace of God, in many ways I remain poor in spirit. For one thing, I don’t trust my Savior as I should. I am encircled with worries and anxieties as with an army of gnats trying to get into my eyes. Yesterday, I thought I had found a strategy that would enable me to trust in peace and to leave my worries to the Lord. However, today, I found that this technique would no longer give me the same peace.

How humbling! But that’s just God’s point! I need constant reminders that the Christian life is not simply a matter of perfecting my swing, but in realizing that without Him I can do nothing.

I cannot even trust God on my own. I cannot perfect a winning technique to overcome my worries. All I can do is to trust in Him, but didn’t I just write that I can’t trust in Him? Yes, I can’t, but I can trust in Him to give me the trust and peace I need, whatever my need.

We will never have enough wisdom or self-mastery, and for good reason. Once we think “I got what it takes,” we no longer have the Lord at hand. If we could achieve enough self-mastery, we would no longer depend upon our Lord and would become prideful.

In our infirmities and weaknesses, we are gloriously coerced to turn continually to Him like fledglings in their nest awaiting their daily bread.



No comments: