Tuesday, June 16, 2020

ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION



When we experience anxiety, depression, and other related afflictions, our first tendency is to regard them as negative things, which we have to quickly overcome. However, this response often proves counter-productive. Instead, God is trying to show us that we cannot overcome without Him. Rather, He wants us to realize that He is the One who is in control and we have to rely upon Him:

·       “Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!” (Psalm 46:10)

As Jesus taught, we can do nothing of any spiritual value:

·       “Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.” (John 15:4-5)

This means we have to trust in the Lord:

·       The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the LORD delivers him out of them all. (Psalm 34:18-19)

However, we want to be in control. Paul had to learn that he couldn’t trust in himself:

·       For we do not want you to be unaware, brothers, of the affliction we experienced in Asia. For we were so utterly burdened beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death. But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead. He delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will deliver us again. (2 Corinthians 1:8-10)

Our Lord teaches us through our afflictions that we cannot trust in ourselves but in Him alone (Psalm 62). Suffering is a necessary part of our life in Christ (1 Peter4:17):

·       always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. For we who live are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh…So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. (2 Corinthians 4:10-11, 16-18)

How do we look at the unseen?

·       Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you. (Philippians 4:8-9)

Meanwhile, Our Lord is working all things together for our good (Romans 8:28) as we look towards Him.

No pain, no gain. It’s going to hurt:

·       Hebrews 12:11 For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

The fact that we suffer various afflictions doesn’t mean that God doesn’t love us, but that He does! He is preparing us for service and for heaven:

·       Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ’s sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed. (1 Peter 4:12-13)

As we place our trust in the Lord, we might still experience anxiety and depression, but we need not be ruled by them. God can turn our weaknesses into strengths:

·       So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:7-10)

Meanwhile, our infirmities should drive us to prayer:

·       do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)

In light of the above, the Christian should regard suffering as a doorway to something far greater.


No comments: