Tuesday, June 30, 2020

CHRISTIAN AGNOSTICS AND THEIR DENIAL OF BIBLICAL CERTAINTY




Can we know about God with some degree of certainty? It seems that there is a growing chorus who say “no.” In the Myth of Certainty, Daniel Taylor had made the absurd claim that, “Faith in God, then, is not a belief system to defend but a life to live out.”

Well, the Christian faith is certainly to be lived out, but how can we live it out if we can have no degree of certainty about whether or not we can trust the teachings enough to live them out!

Taylor’s claim goes against everything that the Bible teaches about certainty and confidence. Doubting Thomas had learned that certainty wasn’t a myth, but instead it is a reasonable expectation. Thomas had refused to believe that Jesus had risen from the dead. However, Jesus was easily able to reverse Thomas’ thinking, when He appeared to Him after His resurrection. Thomas’ uncertainty was placed by, “My Lord and my God,” (John 20:28).

Jesus performed many miracles to banish uncertainty: “If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me; but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.” (John 10:37-38; 5:31-38)

The Bible often assumes that there this no rational basis for uncertainty:

·       Then the LORD said to Moses: "How long will these people reject Me? And how long will they not believe Me, with all the signs which I have performed among them?” (Numbers 14:11)

Today, certainty also comes through following Jesus according to His Word:

·       So Jesus answered them, “My teaching is not mine, but his who sent me. If anyone’s will is to do God’s will, he will know whether the teaching is from God or whether I am speaking on my own authority.” (John 7:16-17 )

·       So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (John 8:31-32)

Do we need certainty? Scripture repeatedly tell us “yes,” especially about God:

·       Thus says the LORD: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the LORD.” (Jeremiah 9:23-24)

All blessings are conveyed through the knowledge of God:

·       May grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord. His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire. (2 Peter 1:2-4)

Jesus had prayed:

·       “I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.” (John 17:26)

This knowledge of God produces confidence and boldness:

·       Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. (Hebrews 10:19-22)

It is this knowledge of God that assures us that our sins are completely forgiven and washed away, and that we are beloved.

Why then are there “Christian” agnostics? I had confronted one Christian leader who called himself a “Christian agnostic” with the question:

·       Since you are uncertain and agnostic about the truth claims of the Bible, have you ever read any of the many Christian authors who have addressed your areas of uncertainty?

He sheepishly admitted that he hadn’t. It, therefore, seemed that he was happy to remain uncertain.

No comments: