Sunday, July 19, 2020

HANDLING ENVY AND JEALOUSY




How do we keep envy and jealousy in check! One way is to know that it is harmful, as Gautama Buddha had observed:

·       “Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others. He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind.”

This awareness is good for starters, but we know that many things can be harmful like anger and over-eating, but yet we have a hard time controlling them - so hard that we eventually give up trying.

However, there are other resources available - those from above:

·       For in Christ lives all the fullness of God in a human body. So you also are complete through your union with Christ, who is the head over every ruler and authority. (Colossians 2:9-10 NLT)

This understanding alone has transformed me. I now understand that I am incredibly rich and for all eternity! Consequently, how foolish it is to envy others their house, job, or happiness, when I am assured of a blissful eternity!

Yes, sometimes I still do have to contend against fleshly temptations. However, even when my Lord doesn’t grant me victory over all of them, I’m assured that He has a good reason for allowing them to humble me.

No comments: