Tuesday, July 21, 2020

WE MUST BE HOLY AS GOD IS HOLY




This requirement is found throughout the Scriptures. Peter wrote:

·       As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.” (1 Peter 1:14-16 ESV)

To be holy is to separate from anything that might defile us and to walk in love. To give into our passions defiles us. Jesus also preached:

·       “You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.” (Matthew 5:48)

However, we are far from perfect. This motivates us to find an exception clause that might allow us to certain peccadillos or moral failures, but there is none. Instead, some claim, “Trying to always be perfect is discouraging and depressing, and God wouldn’t want us to feel this way.”

Of course, this is true. Therefore, our Savior’s mercy is always readily available:

·       If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. (1 John 1:9-10)

His mercy forgives and cleanses us, restoring us to holiness. This truth had enabled David to write:

·       Many are the sorrows of the wicked, but steadfast love surrounds the one who trusts in the Lord. Be glad in the Lord, and rejoice, O righteous, and shout for joy, all you upright in heart! (Psalm 32:10-11)

David wrote this after confessing his adulterous affirm with Bathsheba and the murder of her husband. Because of the mercy of the Lord, he rejoiced that he had been restored to righteousness in His sight.

David had gone through a very depressing period as a result of his sins. However, this brought him back to confession, repentance, and restoration. It also gave him a deeper gratitude and love for his Savior:

·       I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity; I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD,” and you forgave the iniquity of my sin…You are a hiding place for me; you preserve me from trouble; you surround me with shouts of deliverance. (Psalm 32:5, 7)

No comments: