Wednesday, October 28, 2020

LEAVE IT WITH HIM





Our Lord promises:

• Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you. (I Peter 5:6-7 NKJV)

However, when I experience emotional/mental anguish and pray, I tend to repeatedly reflect back upon my anguish to see if God is doing anything to relieve it. Inevitably, I find that there is no relief. Why not? I haven’t truly casted my “cares upon Him.” I am still carrying them. Instead of looking towards Him and waiting patiently, I am still obsessing on my feelings, as if this could provide me with the answer.

What then is the answer? Here is how I am learning to pray:

• Lord, I cannot remove this anguish. I do not have the ability to do so. All that I can do is to wait and to look towards You as my only hope.

I first have to humble myself, as these verses imply. In this context, humility entails recognizing that without Him, I am helpless (John 15:5). When I get to this point, I realize that all of my obsessional thinking to find an answer is a waste of time.

In order to trust in God, we must first learn to distrust in ourselves, and this can only come from the Lord (2 Corinthians 1:8-10).

No comments: