Thursday, January 14, 2016

WHEN LIFE IS OVERWHELMING





When I was in my twenties, I told myself that I could endure anything that life could throw at me. That's how I was able to endure. I had hope - hope in myself.

However, life eventually strips us of this hope. Those who retain such a hope have usually lost touch with reality, a harsh but necessary teacher. They have also lost touch with themselves. Those who are in touch know how vulnerable they are.

Some escape through meditation, dissociating and insulating themselves from their feelings and their vulnerability. Others are left to sense the threats and tenuousness of life.

Where can we find our refuge and hope? Certainly not in flesh and blood! Such a hope is illusory and myopic. Instead, our hope must come from another source. The Psalmist knew his Hope:

·       “I love thee, O Jehovah, my strength. Jehovah is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; My God, my rock, in whom I will take refuge; My shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower. I will call upon Jehovah, who is worthy to be praised: So shall I be saved from mine enemies. The cords of death compassed me, And the floods of ungodliness made me afraid. The cords of Sheol were round about me; The snares of death came upon me. In my distress I called upon Jehovah, And cried unto my God: He heard my voice out of his temple, And my cry before him came into his ears.” (Psalm 18:1-6 ASV)

It is only this Hope that has rescued and will rescue me!

No comments: