Monday, September 12, 2016

WELCOME WHAT HUMBLES AND HEALS





·       “There was none who sold himself to do what was evil in the sight of the Lord like Ahab, whom Jezebel his wife incited. He acted very abominably in going after idols, as the Amorites had done, whom the Lord cast out before the people of Israel.” (1 Kings 21:25-26; ESV)

However, when King Ahab heard God's judgment against him, he humbled himself, and this made all the difference. Therefore, God informed His prophet Elijah:

·       “'Have you seen how Ahab has humbled himself before me? Because he has humbled himself before me, I will not bring the disaster in his days; but in his son's days I will bring the disaster upon his house.'” (1 Kings 21:29)

Humility is so important before our Lord that He reversed Himself entirely regarding the worst of Israel's kings. It’s also important for us! Even the greatest of God's servants had to endure the severest  humbling experiences. After God had deprived Job of everything, he was angry with God, but even he had to be humbled so that he'd repent of his pride and rash charges against his God:

·       “Behold, I am of small account; what shall I answer you? I lay my hand on my mouth. I have spoken once, and I will not answer; twice, but I will proceed no further.” (Job 40:4-5)

·       “I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you; therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes." (Job 42:5-6)

Paul had to be humbled with a "messenger from Satan" to prevent him from becoming proud (2 Cor. 12:7-10). Clearly, "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." (1 Peter 5:5)

I, therefore, must welcome and even embrace those things that humble me, however painful and discouraging they may be. Although Satan means them for evil, our Lord uses them to heal and conform us into His image.

And, by the way, don’t be surprised if these humbling experiences don’t make you feel cleansed but filthy and totally unworthy of anyway good from God. That’s what humbling is all about!

No comments: