Monday, January 23, 2017

WHAT DO I DO…





when I see the portrait of Ex-Pres. Obama commanding center-stage above his mantel, and my rage demands angry words…

when I know that my Black brother adores him as a Saint, while I cannot…

when he is convinced that I must be a racist, and I think the same about him…

when words of reconciliation flee away taking trust by the hand in its flight…

when we find we live in different worlds, he fed on the knees of CNN and I on FOX…

when mutual discomfort seems to be our only remaining glue?

What has happened to our common meals?
Did we not know what we were eating?
Should I remove his name from my address book and spit him out of my mouth?
Where is our common language, the verbs, nouns, and adjectives that had been our nourishment?
Why can we now only share discomfort, mutual suspicion, and moldy bread?

He wants from me the very thing that I cannot give him – agreement.
I cannot tell him I like salmon, when it nauseates me.
I cannot laugh at what he laughs at and cry when he cries.

But there is something greater here – Jesus our Lord.
I cannot see through the fog, but He can.
I cannot change my feelings, but He has created and sustains this world.
I cannot find hope, but He is Hope Himself.
I do not have the answer, but Answer is His Name.
I have exchanged flight for courage, but He counsels trust and patience.

·       Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.  Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones. (Proverbs 3:5-8)


No comments: