Tuesday, October 24, 2017

MY LETTER TO AN ATHEIST





Admittedly, the Bible is offensive in claiming that you don’t believe because you don’t want to. So I think that your response is very appropriate:

·       I simply don't find the evidence credible enough to be a Christian…Since we're talking about my own mental state here, you will simply have to accept it as true, unless you can actually SHOW me that I'm being delusional.

I do not have the ability to look into your heart, so please understand that I am not making a judgment against you personally, but here is the basis for my thinking.

Besides the Bible’s explanation for unbelief, many atheists have claimed that they do not believe simply because they don’t want to believe. For example, atheist and author of the Brave New World, Aldous Huxley, explained his rejection of the Christian faith:

·       I had motives for not wanting the world to have a meaning [and moral absolutes]; consequently assumed that it had none…We don’t know because we don’t want to know. It is our will that decides how and upon what subjects we shall use our intelligence. Those who detect no meaning in the world generally do so because, for one reason or another, it suits their books that the world should be meaningless. (“Ends and Mean”)

Of course, Huxley’s motives might not reflect the motives of most other atheists, but many have admitted something similar to this. Even I thought that I was searching for the truth about God, but I wasn’t. I was interested in God as long as He would validate me in the way I wanted.

From my present perspective, I am incredulous that all of the evidence, which surrounded me, would not have settled the issue of God’s existence. I now marvel at the indispensable systems that God has designed for the cell. It has been remarked that it’s machinery are more complex and interrelated than the machinery needed to run a city like NYC. Even the simplest cell requires a vast array of irreducibly complex systems – digestive, transportive, sensory, waste elimination, reproductive… And then we observe the wonder of the human being and our vast cognitive and perceptive machinery – not to mention consciousness and freewill. Just the function of the eye should be enough to astound us.

However, I had become dulled to the evidence and didn’t see it until God had opened my eyes.

However, He promises that if we seek we will find. I’d suggest that you pray and ask Him to change your heart and open your eyes so that you too can see the evidence.

No comments: