Tuesday, January 22, 2019

SHEPHERDING THE FLOCK AND FREEDOM OF THOUGHT




I take this verse very seriously:

·       “Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.” (Matthew 18:5-6)

As a new Christian I had no awareness of this or any sensitivity to the needs of other baby Christians. Instead, I was irked by their assurance in the faith. Dispositionally, I am still a skeptic. Faith never came easily to me and I had been jealous of those to whom it did come easily. I therefore sought to shake them up and not for their good.

I recall this to my shame, although I know that I am now totally forgiven and cleansed of my filth. Nevertheless, it continues to prompt me to ask the question, “How can I best serve my Savior and the needs of His people?”

Now, as a teacher, I find that I am asking the same question. Growth requires discomfort. For a tree to grow, the bark must be torn apart to make room for the new growth, but it’s a slow process, as is Christian growth.

Growth in the Lord must be carefully nurtured (Ephesians 4:11-14). While we do need to promote the growth of the student, we do this with measured and digestible challenges, lest we cause the student to stumble. We do not let the heretic loose in the vineyard lest he tears it apart. This is why Scripture gives us many warnings against false teachers and prophets:

·          Matthew 7:15 "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves.

·          Mark 8:15 Then He charged them, saying, "Take heed, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and the leaven of Herod."

·          Col. 2:8 Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ.

·          1 John 4:1 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Scripture never says, “Let the false teacher do his damage, and I will pick of the pieces.” God might pick of the pieces, but this doesn’t diminish our responsibility. A church that failed to keep watch over the welfare of their sheep was criticized by our Lord:

·          Revelation 2:14-15 Nevertheless, I have a few things against you: You have people there who hold to the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to entice the Israelites to sin by eating food sacrificed to idols and by committing sexual immorality. Likewise you also have those who hold to the teaching of the Nicolaitans.

This means that to be a faithful shepherd, we have to protect the flock against challenges that exceed their ability to address in a meaningful growth-promoting way.

I am entirely in favor of the free exchange of ideas. However, I am not in favor of exposing tender minds to the wiles of drag queens, pedophiles, and transgendereds. This is why our Lord has committed the raising of children to those who love them the most – their parents:

·       Deuteronomy 6:6-9  “And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.”

No comments: