Monday, June 3, 2019

CAN I NOT CALL CHRISTIAN EVOLUTION A “FALSE GOSPEL?”




I ask this question because a “Christian evolutionist” (CE) and Facebook group leader, responded:

·       …there is no form of love that involves name calling. To be unaccepting is one thing, but to attack by name calling is another. I know you're accustomed to being censored on facebook due to what it deems as hate speech…so you know what I am talking about.

What had brought his response? I had submitted an essay calling Christian Evolution a “false gospel.” The CE claimed that this was “hate speech.” When challenged, I answered that CE has led many astray into a false gospel which denies the historical content of Genesis 1-11 and even of the New Testament’s many citations from these chapters, each regarding them as historical. I claimed that it was an act of love to warn others away from the false gospel which took-away from the Scriptures (Deuteronomy 4:2; 12:32; Revelation 22:18-19).

His response hurt, and he closed off any further commenting. He justified his judgment by alluding to Facebook’s many bans based upon what I had written, as if Facebook provides a moral standard superior to the Scriptures.

What do I do when I hurt? I write! I began to think of the hard but loving words of the Prophets of Israel and of John the Baptist who had warned:

·       He said therefore to the crowds that came out to be baptized by him, “You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bear fruits in keeping with repentance. And do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children for Abraham. Even now the axe is laid to the root of the trees. Every tree therefore that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.” (Luke 3:7-9)

However, such a warning was an act of love, an act that Jesus had performed on many occasions:

·       “You serpents, you brood of vipers, how are you to escape being sentenced to hell? Therefore I send you prophets and wise men and scribes, some of whom you will kill and crucify, and some you will flog in your synagogues and persecute from town to town…” (Matthew 23:33-34)

The CE had denounced what I had written: “there is no form of love that involves name calling.” Evidently, Jesus was of a different opinion. It seems that the proclamation of the truth will be met by hatred. Jesus explained why He was hated to His biological brethren:

·       “The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify about it that its works are evil.” (John 7:7)

By degrading the Scriptures, CEs had embraced the evil. This doesn’t mean that we should give needless offense, but I think that there are times when we have to label something for what it is. To merely discuss CE on a high intellectual level fails to convey the seriousness of this heresy and the damage it has wrought upon the Church.

I have to remind myself that the responses of the world to the things I say do not define me, and that persecution is inevitable when we follow Jesus:

·       “Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.” (Matthew 5:11-12)

In the end, it will become even worse as society rejects Biblical values:

·       Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil people and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. (2 Timothy 3:12-13)

This is why Jesus prepared us with these words:

·       “If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours.” (John 15:18-20)

I need all of these words in order to stand. Otherwise, I will be cowered into silence.

No comments: