Wednesday, June 5, 2019

WHY WE HAVE TO SPEAK UP ABOUT SEX




Many use silencing techniques to marginalize their opposition. This might include name calling or charging us with being un-Christian. Some techniques are more subtle like this message I just received:

“What upsets me when I read this is that you cannot extend the same courtesy [of acceptance] to people who have different [sexual] lives from yours.”

In response, I argued that “I cannot be silent about this issue:

1.    Many are turning to LGBT lifestyles. Which are now being strongly promoted among our sources of influence, without any counter-narrative. To be silent in this context is not an option. Love requires us to warn. If we don’t, then we are culpable. In this, Paul proclaimed his innocence because he did not remain silent:

Acts 20:26-27: “Therefore I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all, for I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God.”

2.    There is so much propaganda against Biblical Christianity over LGBT, that we are being marginalized, our livelihood is being threatened, and we are being accused of being “haters,” “bigots,” and “homophobes.” Young Christians have become ashamed of their faith as a result. Consequently, they have found pastors who are LGBT affirming. I feel that we need to tell them that remaking the faith into something more socially acceptable is not an option.

3.    There is also great and transformative wisdom in the Biblical faith. Instead, we are regarded as behind-the-times and need to change. However, we must remain faithful even when it means persecution and rejection. I therefore think it necessary to convey the rationale behind this God-given faith by making the case for family, traditional marriage and their many blessings in the light of this onslaught.

But I thank you for hanging-in with this discussion. I wish more were like you.”

No comments: