Thursday, October 10, 2019

LIVING PROACTIVELY




Whenever my family physician sees me, she asks, “Have you been exercising?” Why? If we don’t use it, we will lose it, not only our muscles but also our health. This truth is a general rule – We need to live proactively, pursuing our goals.

I was just told about a young atheist musician with stage IV cancer, who has just lost control of his bodily functions. However, right up until this point, he had been composing songs with the help of some caring people. His life has been a testimony to our need to be pursuing our goals, even till the end. When our eyes are focused ahead at our goals, it is easier to ignore the grasping and damning threats, which encircle us like flies.

However, the goals of this young musician will die with him, even if others will continue to enjoy his music. This is the dismal refrain sounded by King Solomon who had been searching for the meaning of life:

·       I devoted myself to study and to explore by wisdom all that is done under heaven. What a heavy burden God has laid on men! I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind. (Ecclesiastes 1:13-14)

Although Solomon had many pleasures and goals to occupy him, he lamented:

·       The wise man has eyes in his head, while the fool walks in the darkness; but I came to realize that the same fate overtakes them both. Then I thought in my heart, "The fate of the fool will overtake me also. What then do I gain by being wise?" I said in my heart, "This too is meaningless." For the wise man, like the fool, will not be long remembered; in days to come both will be forgotten. Like the fool, the wise man too must die! (Ecclesiastes 2:14-16)

Did the young artist have Solomon’s awareness, once the visitors departed? I wasn’t told. Despite Solomon’s great wisdom, he was unable to grasp what was most important – an eternal life follows this one, where all of our pain and confusion will be joyously addressed.

All of this made me reconsider my own blessedness. I have a goal of serving my Creator and Lover, the Author of all truth and goodness. How this has dignified my life! Jesus also acknowledged that His goal and nourishment was to serve the Father (John 4:34). In this, He delighted (Isaiah 11:1-4).

I too delight in the fact that my life is bursting forth with meaning and purpose. Nothing can be more edifying, especially as we see our bodies decaying towards the grave and the flies are biting our defenseless bodies.

No comments: