Tuesday, October 29, 2019

PROMOTING DIVERSITY WHILE PROHIBITING THE CHRISTIAN VOICE?





WHAT DO YOU THINK? I applaud the MeetUp discussion groups. They represent an attempt to bring those of diverse opinions together to counteract the growing divide and antagonism. They promote listening, understanding, and civility. Refreshing, yes?

While no one will ostensibly disagree with these goals, practice sometimes reflects something very different. I’ve noticed that two conversation groups have forbidden any form of proselytizing.

Should I remain silent? I felt that this prohibition was directed towards me. In opposition to the common expression of a secular faith, I have often presented a Christian perspective. Some have taken issue, as if the Christian worldview is the one voice that should be silenced. One group leader wrote to express his displeasure with me, claiming that others had also complained about me.

Had I tried to kidnap the conversation in favor of my own ideology, I could better understand their objection. If I had been rude, long-winded, or disruptive, I would gladly apologize. Instead, I think that their complaints were just a matter of bias, the same bias we have seen proliferating across the West - the very thing that these groups are designed to oppose.

Therefore, I decided to challenge this group leader by writing a response on his discussion group announcement:

·       I am concerned that your injunction against “proselytizing in any shape or form” is directed against those who express a Christian POV as opposed to a secular or materialistic one. After all, we all proselytize in one way or another, whether by promoting a certain idea or just simply ourselves. Therefore, isn’t your prohibition merely a matter of viewpoint discrimination?

As far as I know, no one has commented. However, to remain silent is to allow the further silencing of the Christian voice and also other voices that might be deemed “unacceptable.” What do you think?

No comments: