Sunday, August 2, 2020

ONE PORTRAIT OF THE PROFOUND LOVE OF GOD




I love such portraits, and you do too. How do I know this? God created us to be loved, and no one can love us as God does.

Perhaps there has never been a people more rebellious than His chosen people:

·       “Children have I reared and brought up, but they have rebelled against me. The ox knows its owner, and the donkey its master’s crib, but Israel does not know, my people do not understand.  Ah, sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, offspring of evildoers, children who deal corruptly! They have forsaken the LORD, they have despised the Holy One of Israel, they are utterly estranged.” (Isaiah 1:2-4 (ESV)

For the first six hundred years of Israel existence, from the time of Abraham, their God had treated them with kid-gloves. He never punished them until the debacle at Mount Sinai. Elsewhere, God had cried out that there was nothing more that He could have done for Israel. He likened Israel, His bride, to a vineyard He had planted for her:

·       “He dug it and cleared it of stones, and planted it with choice vines; he built a watchtower in the midst of it, and hewed out a wine vat in it; and he looked for it to yield grapes, but it yielded wild grapes. And now, O inhabitants of Jerusalem and men of Judah, judge between me and my vineyard.  What more was there to do for my vineyard, that I have not done in it? When I looked for it to yield grapes, why did it yield wild grapes? And now I will tell you what I will do to my vineyard. I will remove its hedge, and it shall be devoured; I will break down its wall, and it shall be trampled down. I will make it a waste; it shall not be pruned or hoed, and briers and thorns shall grow up; I will also command the clouds that they rain no rain upon it. For the vineyard of the LORD of hosts is the house of Israel, and the men of Judah are his pleasant planting; and he looked for justice, but behold, bloodshed; for righteousness, but behold, an outcry!” (Isaiah 5:2-7)

Throughout the writings of the Hebrew Prophets, we encounter the very same denunciations of Israel. They had even sinfully descended beneath other peoples (Ezekiel 5:7; 16:46-47):

·       “Your evil will chastise you, and your apostasy will reprove you. Know and see that it is evil and bitter for you to forsake the LORD your God; the fear of me is not in you, declares the Lord GOD of hosts. For long ago I broke your yoke and burst your bonds; but you said, ‘I will not serve.’ Yes, on every high [pagan] hill and under every green tree you bowed down like a whore. Yet I planted you a choice vine, wholly of pure seed. How then have you turned degenerate and become a wild vine? Though you wash yourself with lye and use much soap, the stain of your guilt is still before me, declares the Lord GOD. How can you say, ‘I am not unclean, I have not gone after the Baals’?” (Jeremiah 2:19-22)

There were even times when it seemed that God was on the verge of divorcing Himself from His people (Hosea 1). However, He also assured Israel that He would never utterly divorce His people. Instead, Israel had consistently divorced themselves from their God:

·       This is what the LORD says: “Was your mother [Israel] sent away because I divorced her? Did I sell you as slaves to my creditors? No, you were sold because of your sins…(Isaiah 50:1 {NLT2}; 59:1-2)

Israel’s choices, the things she loved, had separated her from her God. Nevertheless, He promised that He would eventually rescue His unworthy people:

·       The voice of your watchmen—they lift up their voice; together they sing for joy; for eye to eye they see the return of the LORD to Zion. Break forth together into singing, you waste places of Jerusalem, for the LORD has comforted his people; he has redeemed Jerusalem. The LORD has bared his holy arm [the Messiah; 53:1] before the eyes of all the nations, and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God. (Isaiah 52:8-10 (ESV)

Even before the promised Messiah, God always had His hands outstretched to His rebellious people:

·       “Return, faithless Israel, declares the LORD. I will not look on you in anger, for I am merciful, declares the LORD; I will not be angry forever. Only acknowledge your guilt, that you rebelled against the LORD your God and scattered your favors among foreigners under every green tree, and that you have not obeyed my voice, declares the LORD. Return, O faithless children, declares the LORD; for I am your master… (Jeremiah 3:12-14)

However, Israel refused to acknowledge that they had betrayed their God. Even though Israel continually rejected His pleadings, God continued to reassure Israel of His unceasing love:

·       But now thus says the LORD, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior… (Isaiah 43:1-3)

However, Israel had other hopes and dreams. Instead, nothing short of the coming Savior would change Israel’s heart for her Redeemer:

·       “Comfort, comfort my people, says your God. Speak tenderly to Jerusalem, and cry to her that her warfare is ended, that her iniquity is pardoned, that she has received from the LORD’s hand double for all her sins.  A voice cries: “In the wilderness prepare the way of the LORD; make straight in the desert a highway for our God…And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together, for the mouth of the LORD has spoken.” (Isaiah 40:1-3, 5)

What is this “glory of the Lord,” which was to be revealed? Jesus pointed to the moment of His glory. It wasn’t when He created the world or even when He’d return to establish His everlasting Kingdom (Isaiah (9:6-7). Neither! Instead it was when He humbled Himself to be tormented on the Cross for those who hated Him (Romans 5:8-10):

·       And Jesus answered them, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit.” (John 12:23-24)

He died for their sins, but even then, Israel rejected Him. However, this wasn’t the end of this story of love. God would return and reveal Himself to Israel as the One they had murdered:

·       “And I [God] will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and pleas for mercy, so that, when they look on me [God], on him whom they have pierced, they shall mourn for him [God], as one mourns for an only child, and weep bitterly over him, as one weeps over a firstborn. On that day the mourning in Jerusalem will be as great…” (Zechariah 12:10-11)

Their rejected God and Savior will open their eyes so that they will see what they had done to Him, and they will mourn with profound sorrow. Even though His Chosen People had rejected their God, He will not allow them to grieve for long. Instead, He will promptly restore them, cleansing them from the pollution of all of their sins:

·       On that day there shall be a fountain opened for the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, to cleanse them from sin and uncleanness. (Zechariah 13:1)

Israel had rejected their grieving Savior for centuries, and yet their God never gave up on them.

I needed to see the many Biblical portraits of God’s love, since I never felt loved. As a result, I was always trying to be someone else so that I could be loved. Even after Jesus had opened my heart to believe in Him, it still felt that, in my case, He had done so reluctantly, and that He really didn’t love me. Therefore, I prayed that He would love me, or, if He already did, then He would show me this conclusively. He has, and I now rejoice in Him.

No comments: