Wednesday, August 5, 2020

THE HISTORY OF HUMANKIND AND MY COMPUTER GEEK




I am amazed at how a computer geek can remotely take over my computer to repair it. However, since I’m a techno-twit, my real amazement is how this serves as a metaphor for human history and its many failures.

Let’s start with Adam and Eve. God had made them without flaw and worry. They were placed into the perfect environment, where everything was provided, even a direct relationship with their Creator and Sustained, but they blew it. The rebelled and incurred the Fall.

God then expelled them into a harsh world where they’d have to survive by the sweat of their brow, as various threats loomed closely. Wouldn’t this cause them to depend on God? However, even in this environment, they rebelled against their Maker.

God then tried government as a surrogate parent to keep humanity in check. However, their unity was abused, and they built a tower to glorify themselves. Then God took away their common language, and this led to dispersion and nationhood. Certainly, this national competition and threat that the nations posed to one another would turn their hearts towards God, but it didn’t.

Then God called a man named Abraham and made a covenant with Him, a covenant of promise. God promised to make him into a blessing to the world and provided for Him in many ways. Besides, He promised that He never give up on Abraham and his descendants. However, they would give up on Him.

He then redeemed Israel from Egypt and gave them the Law with its many curses and blessings. However, even these failed to keep them in check and to love their Savior. Instead, the history of Israel reveals a continuous pattern of rejection of their Redeemer.

What next? He would send His Son to die for the sins of mankind. He would prove His profound love for them by humbling Himself at His birth and even more so, at His death, the moment of His glory (John 12:23-24). He then sent His Spirit to indwell, guide, and teach them.

He would “remotely” take charge in such an extraordinary way that He would be able to work all things together for our good (Romans 8:28). He would commit a major breach by invading our privacy and molding us, from the inside, according to His good purpose (Philippians 2:13).

We only allow the computer geek to invade and take charge of our private computer because we have become convinced that there was no other way.

I am glad that my Savior has invaded my life. I have learned that He is my only hope and joy. Therefore, I have freely given Him complete control and pray:

·       You have saved me and bought me. I belong to You. I am glad that my life is no longer my own, but that it now is Yours (Galatians 2:20) – my failures, inadequacies, dreams, and everything else. I trust that you are leading, teaching, and correcting me in the most blessed ways possible (Philippians 3:15), because You have assured me of your Love. Consequently, You intend to give your children the world. Everything good that I have comes as a gift from You (James 1:17). Grant me Your daily bread so that I can faithfully follow You.

My life has tracked the history of humankind. I’m therefore tempted to call my Savior my “computer geek,” but that would be to profoundly minimize His glory.


No comments: