Wednesday, October 20, 2021

HOPE

 


 

We cannot effectively counsel others unless we can lead those in need to a place of hope. But to what hope? Today, there is a growing number of humanist chaplains. They discount a hope in a higher Power. Without a loving God, the humanist has no alternative but to locate hope in oneself, in humanity, despite our dismal history.
 
Consequently, they might say things like, “You have within yourself the resources to change.” They will provide positive affirmations and make use of various techniques to help us re-envision ourselves. However, they cannot add a day to our lives or an inch to our lives.
 
Consequently, we are left staring at ourselves in the mirror asking, “What went wrong.” The answer is simple. We are very limited in our ability to change ourselves. Besides, the changes we seek - more control, peace, and joy - might not serve as a healthy diet for us. We really don’t know what we need or even what we should pray for:
 
·       Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. (Romans 8:26-27)
 
Therefore, the more psychotherapists I saw, the greater my despair. In contrast, Jesus promised:
 
·       “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)
 
This was the one promise I found to be true!

No comments: