Monday, February 14, 2022

ON HOW TO BE AN AMBASSADOR FOR CHRIST, Part 1

 



 

I will be teaching a course about “Answering the Challenges to the Faith.” However, such a course must also address the challenges that come from within.
 
Why? If we are not grounded in the Faith and by our understanding of God, we will be confronting our own inner doubts as we confront the world and even our own brethren. As a result, we will encounter battles on every front as we try to be other-centered and even God-centered in our encounters.
 
For example, there are many Biblical truths we need to believe in order to serve as Christ’s ambassadors:
 
·       I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20)
 
When we can accept this truth, it becomes easier to relate in a less self-conscious way. Why? We believe that God is working through us even if we stumble through our delivery:
 
·       Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. (2 Corinthians 5:20)
 
We are all broken vessels, yet our Lord has chosen us to be His vessels (1 Corinthians 1:26-29) to present His through us. Even in our brokenness, He is able to do this. It is especially through our brokenness that His grace becomes more apparent and appealing. Our weaknesses are actually our strengths. Paul had learned that this truth also applied to him:
 
·       So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:7-10)
 
When we realize these things, we too will be able to exult in our weaknesses, traumas, and infirmities. How blessed to rejoice in our infirmities rather than wasting a lot of obsessive effect to hide them!
 
If we don’t understand these things, we will remain self-conscious and morbidly self-focused. Rather, to accept our brokenness is freedom and internal rest, the very thing that our Savior has promised us:
 
·       So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (John 8:31-32)
 
But don’t beat yourself up if these truths do not yet feel real for you. It might take time for you to feel comfortable in your new suit of armor, but we must try. How? Here is my suggestion - In my days of extreme torment, I made memory verse cards of those verses that ministered to me. Wherever I went, I’d have them with me.

No comments: