Wednesday, March 25, 2020

THE RELIGION OF MENTAL HEALTH




I have found that mental health groups have been the most hostile and intolerant of any Christian influence. Atheist groups are also intolerant. However, I have found that they will at least give you a hearing in hope of heaping ridicule upon us.

To illustrate, one leader of a mental health support group wrote to ask me to take down my essay because it spoke of Jesus as the answer. She charged that preaching Jesus disqualified the majority of people who couldn’t or wouldn’t believe in Him. Here’s how I responded:


“Thanks again for your response and your patience with me. I certainly respect your right to remove me from your group.

I don’t want to exclude anyone. Jesus is for anyone who comes. However, the same charge that you bring against speaking of Jesus can also be brought against speaking any form of truth. There will be people opposed to it because they don’t believe it is true or offensive to them or… Therefore, I wish that you would reconsider your reasoning, although it is commonly held.

In contrast, I think that the commonly held mental health paradigm has been destructive. Here in NYC, we probably have the highest per-capita ratio of mental health professionals but little if any improvement to show for it. I think that there are many reasons for this. Even though it is comforting to have a respected professional reflecting caringly on our problems, ultimately, the only hope that they can offer is a hope in oneself.

This places an additional burden upon us. We now also have to make ourselves believe that we are worthy of this hope, when we are not. Instead, we are going downhill.

Besides, we all desperately need to hope, and we will obsessively place our attention on the source of our hope. This is not a good prescription for good mental health. Instead, I have found such freedom by knowing that Jesus loves me and is always with me guiding my steps and turning even my weaknesses and failure into good. Assurance of His love has enabled me to accept myself, others, and to be transparent about my many failings.”

No comments: