Sunday, March 15, 2020

THE TRUTH OF THE WORD CAN SET YOU FREE


Jesus had promised His disciple that if they’d continue in His teachings, they would know the truth the truth would set them free (John 8:31-32).

Nevertheless, each time I’d experience the power of His truth, I am amazed. Just yesterday, I was furious with my wife and steamed for hours. I doesn’t matter who had been the cause. Instead, as soon as I recalled this truth, everything changed:

  • Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her. (Ephesians‬ ‭5:25‬ ‭ESV‬‬)

It no longer mattered who was right and who was wrong. Nor did it matter how many times she had violated my boundaries. I knew I had to love and forgive her.

The Word came to me as the authoritative truth, the sword of the Spirit, which swept away every other consideration. It spoke to me as nothing else could. Immediately, I saw my duty, and that was all that mattered.

The Word set me free from my entrenched bitterness and once again humbled me, exalting itself above all of my petty feelings. It corrected and convicted me, lifting me out of my stubborn anger to restore me to my wife.

Don’t ask me how this works. I’m convinced that it reflects the supernatural and liberating work of the Spirit, and I’m grateful for it.

Consequently, my prayer is that our Savior would continue to set me free from all that enslaves me through the liberating light of His Word. No wonder we are instructed to meditate on this Word both day and night.

No comments: