Saturday, March 14, 2020

TO BE A CHRISTIAN IS TO BE SCRIPTURE-CENTERED




For the most part, the Pharisees were not Scripture-centered. Instead of being of God, Jesus accused them of being of the devil:

  • “Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word. You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies. But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me. Which one of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me? Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God." (John 8:43-47 ESV)

According to Jesus, rejecting His words, the Word of God, proved that the Pharisees were not of God. Those of God “hear the words of God.” They are drawn to them, while the Pharisees could not “bear to hear” them. Why not? They are light and truth and reveal our secrets. Jesus was hated because He revealed the truth about the Pharisees (John 7:7).

One friend had told me that he is a liberal Christian and that I am a conservative Christian. Often, he had stated that he rejects some of the verses and teachings of the Bible. In love, I had to tell him that he couldn’t consider himself a Christian because he had made himself judge of the Scriptures rather than their servant. More importantly, he didn’t affirm Jesus’ view of the Scriptures – that it was the supreme and unquestioned authority. To claim to be a “Christian” is to claim to be a follower of Jesus, even in regards to the Scriptures.

Had Jesus told the Pharisees that they were of God rather than the devil, He would have reinforced their false hope. Instead, love requires truth. Even Jesus submitted Himself to the Word of His Father:

  • “But you have not known him. I know him. If I were to say that I do not know him, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and I keep his word.” (John 8:55; Matthew 4:4 )

If Jesus kept His Word - and He gave us every indication that He did (Matthew 5:17-19) - then we too must “keep His Word.” To not keep it is to refuse to trust in God in favor in one’s own judgment.

There is no other way to trust in God apart from through His Word. Many say, “I have to trust what feels right to me.” This is to say, “I want to be in control of my life.” It represents a refusal to hear what God has revealed to us and demonstrates that we do not belong to Him.

For Jesus, our response to the Word, is of the greatest importance:

  • “Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death." (John 8:51)

The opposite is also truth. If we refuse to keep His Word, we are not of Him and will see eternal death.

According to Jesus, the Word also transforms and liberates:

  • "If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." (John 8:31-32)

Jesus meant that we are free from the domination of sin, not the temptation to sin (Romans 7:25; Galatians 5:17). We become children of the light rather than lovers of the darkness (John 3:19-20), even as we walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death (Psalm 27) and experience all forms of temptations.

We have been trained by the Spirit through His Word. Consequently, our eyes are opened, and we can distinguish right from wrong: the leading of the devil from the leading from God. We have learned to reject the world’s temptations that bring us into slavery to sin. When we falter, we confess our sins and receive forgiveness and cleansing.

However, I do not want to be quick to judge. Perhaps it is because of immaturity or ignorance that some have not pledged themselves to the entirety of the Word. We cannot look into the heart of others. Only God can.

No comments: