Thursday, December 31, 2020

HOW TO KNOW WE ARE SAVED

  
We need reassurance that we are in the Lord. Why? Often, when we examine ourselves, we fail to see any change in our lives. Even though the Bible teaches that we are new creations (2 Corinthians 5:17), it’s hard to see when we’re blinded by the garbage we see when we examine ourselves.
 
Contrary to popular opinion, nowhere does the Bible teach that we can know that we are saved by speaking in tongue or by exercising any supernatural gift. Instead. First John gives us many tests to know that we are saved. For example, John claimed that we can be assured that we are saved if we listen to the teachings of the Apostles (the NT):

·       We are from God. Whoever knows God listens to us; whoever is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the Spirit of truth and the spirit of error. (1 John 4:6)
 
In the next chapter, John wrote that we can be assured if we keep His commandments:
 
·       By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome. (1 John 5:2–3)
 
However, this raises several questions for the doubting mind:
 
1.     Am I keeping enough of the commandments?
2.     How perfectly must I keep them?
3.     And what if I do not enjoy keeping His commandments?
 
I used to torment myself with such doubts. Today, I was reading in the Book of Romans a teaching you might find helpful. It is primarily about the intention of our heart and mind to follow Jesus and only secondarily about how successful we had been in implementing this intention. Paul described this as a matter of where we set our minds:
 
·       For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God. (Romans 8:5–8)
 
The main thing is where we set our minds. Where is our hope? If we set our minds and hopes on the desires of the flesh, we will live according to the flesh and die. If instead we set our minds on the Lord, what He has done and will do for us, we will live according to Him. This is because our minds and hearts have been regenerated by the Spirit so that we want the Lord. Consequently, He has become our hope and our treasure.
 
As a newborn, our steps will falter, but as we grow in His Word by His Spirit, our steps will become steadier. For some of us, this will take quite a bit of time. It did for me, but out of our weakness, our Lord produces strength as we continue to set our mind on Him:

·       But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:9–10)
 
Our Lord looks upon our heart and judges accordingly.
 
·       But, O LORD of hosts, who judges righteously, who tests the heart and the mind, let me see your vengeance upon them, for to you have I committed my cause. (Jeremiah 11:20; 17:10; Psalm 7:9; Revelation 2:23; 1 Samuel 16:7)
 
Ultimately, when our Lord judges, He will give each according to what they want - the intentions and desires of their heart and mind.

 

 

 





No comments: