Tuesday, January 12, 2021

CHARGING GOD AS AN “EGOMANIAC”

 

While our God can be misconstrued as an egomaniac, this charge represents a misunderstanding of His loving intentions. Here is one example cited by those who hate God:
 
·       But when Jesus heard [of their cry for Jesus to come and heal Lazarus], he said, “This illness does not lead to death. It is for the glory of God, so that the Son of God may be glorified through it.” (John 11:4 (ESV)
 
They reason, “See how Jesus used the eventual death of Lazarus for his own selfish purpose to glorify Himself. Who can believe in such a self-centered God!”
 
Was seeking His glory really a matter of being self-centered? It does not appear so. Instead, Jesus’ glory had been manifested to build the faith of His disciples:
 
·       Then Jesus told them plainly, “Lazarus has died, and for your sake I am glad that I was not there, so that you may believe. But let us go to him.” (John 11:14–15)
 
How would they believe? By beholding the glory of God through the resurrection of Lazarus, who had been in the grave for four days. In view of this, having us behold Jesus’ glory is an act of love to reassure us that our Savior is truly able to take care of us:
 
·       Jesus said, “Take away the stone.” Martha, the sister of the dead man, said to him, “Lord, by this time there will be an odor, for he has been dead four days.” Jesus said to her, “Did I not tell you that if you believed you would see the glory of God?” So they took away the stone. And Jesus lifted up his eyes and said, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. I knew that you always hear me, but I said this on account of the people standing around, that they may believe that you sent me.” (John 11:39–42)
 
Our faith requires its daily bread or nourishment, the reassurance that Jesus is who He had claimed to be. Besides, many others came to faith through this display of His glory. In love, Jesus prayed to the Father that we might behold His glory:

·       “Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world. O righteous Father, even though the world does not know you, I know you, and these know that you have sent me. I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.” (John 17:24–26)
 
Why did Jesus pray for us to see His glory? So that the love of God would also be in us! Hardly the heart of an egomaniac! I therefore rejoice in the glory of God. It is also our glory.

 

 

No comments: