Saturday, February 12, 2022

LIVING FOR JESUS ALONE

 

 

You cannot live for Jesus unless you repent of all your sins, at least those that you are aware of. Jesus had warned us:
 
·       “Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans, because they suffered in this way? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish. Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them: do you think that they were worse offenders than all the others who lived in Jerusalem? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.” (Luke 13:2-5)
 
Israel only had one person in their midst who had defied God’s command against taking any booty out of the defeated Jericho. As a result, Israel was defeated by the little city of Ai, and Joshua was devastated. However, the Lord revealed to him:
 
·       “Israel has sinned; they have transgressed my covenant that I commanded them; they have taken some of the devoted things; they have stolen and lied and put them among their own belongings. Therefore the people of Israel cannot stand before their enemies. They turn their backs before their enemies, because they have become devoted for destruction. I will be with you no more, unless you destroy the devoted things from among you.” (Joshua 7:11-12)
 
This same principal also pertains to us as individuals. Ananias and Sapphira had committed what we’d think of just a small sin. They had sold their property to give the proceeds to the Apostles for the support of the fledging Church. However, they lied saying that they had given all of the proceeds, but they had only given half. For this “little white lie,” the Lord struck them both dead.

This is an important lesson for all of us. No matter how faithful we had been, it should never be an excuse to purposely sin. When we do so, we are in effect telling God, “I know how to optimally live my life than You do!” Therefore, God will withdraw from us to teach us a painful lesson.
 
We cannot fruitfully serve our Lord in any capacity unless we submit to Him and His protective mercy. However, the Lord has promised to warn us if we are departing from His will:
 
·       Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you. (Philippians 3:15)
 
Forty years ago in my immaturity, I met a young lady at a church retreat. Immediately, we were attracted to one another, but she was still in the process of getting a divorce. Therefore, we decided we would just be friends. However, I found myself totally captivated by her but reassured myself that I could live with that and still not sin.
 
Nevertheless, I kept having the strangest sense that when I prayed, my prayers were hitting the ceiling and going no further. I told my friend about this puzzling sense. She responded, “I don’t think that the Lord wants you to be with this girl.”
 
As soon as I began to consider this possibility, I knew it was true, and that sense that my prayers were not being heard never again returned. I wrote her a letter and told her that our “friendship” wouldn’t work.
 
Two years later, I met her by accident. She sorrowfully confided that she had had two abortions since we had “separated.”
 
Jesus taught that He had to be first in our lives:
 
·       “Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.” (Matthew 10:37-39)
 
It is our great privilege and joy to do so!

No comments: