Saturday, February 5, 2022

SHOULD WE EXPOSE OURSELVES TO OTHER RELIGIONS AND PHILOSOPHIES?

 


 

That depends! I profit from reading about other religions and philosophies, but this is because I am a teacher and have been following Jesus for 45 years. I need to be aware of other systems of thought to counteract them (2 Corinthians 10: 4-5), not only for myself but also for my students. Besides, learning about other religions helps me to clearly define my own Faith.
 
However, for new Christians, I wouldn’t recommend this. Why? You cannot try to master calculus until you learn addition and subtraction. You cannot expect to evaluate other religions until you learn the truths of the Bible, which give us everything we need:
 
·       All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
 
Nor can we go to other religions seeking to augment what we might feel is lacking in our own. Therefore, we are continually warned to not go beyond the Scriptures to incorporate other teachings into our Faith:
 
·       Someone may say to you, “Let’s ask the mediums and those who consult the spirits of the dead. With their whisperings and mutterings, they will tell us what to do.” But shouldn’t people ask God for guidance? Should the living seek guidance from the dead? Look to God’s instructions and teachings! People who contradict his word are completely in the dark. (Isaiah 8:19-20)
 
Paul had also issued this same warning as he saw his brethren going beyond Scriptural boundaries:
 
·       I have applied all these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brothers, that you may learn by us not to go beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up in favor of one against another. (1 Corinthians 4:6)
 
We are prone to seek answers beyond the Bible. Why? The Christian life is full of suffering and disappointment (2 Corinthians 4:10-11). This makes us think that we are missing something. However, Paul assured us that we already have everything we need in Jesus:
 
·       See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority. (Colossians 2:8-10)
 
Instead, we need to learn to serve God according to His Word. According to Jesus, this is how we must love Him:
 
·       Jesus replied, “All who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will come and make our home with each of them. Anyone who doesn’t love me will not obey me. And remember, my words are not my own. What I am telling you is from the Father who sent me.” (John 14:23-24)
 
Therefore, we must not allow our pride to deceive us into thinking that we are intelligent enough to pick and choose from different sources. It takes time to learn how to arm our minds (Ephesians 6:10-19). Therefore, we also need teachers (Ephesians 4:11-14) until we become mature in the Faith.

No comments: