Thursday, October 17, 2013

Responding to Hatred: Loving the Unlovable



Recently, I received these responses to my essay, Homosexuality: The Costs:

  • OH YOU ARE A GIANT DOUCHE FAGGOT, YOU ARE A FAGGY QUEENY DOUCHE, YOU NEED TO GO FUCK YOURSELF, CAUSE NO ONE ELSE TOUCHES YOU!
  • Oh eat a bag of cock, go devour a pound of shit, you judgmental homophobic redneck cunt. I hope you sit on a cactus.
Here is my response:

I’m truly sorry that you feel this way. I can’t begin to understand the torment you’ve experienced.

Please know that, as a Christian, I don’t look down on you. I have plenty of my own struggles and weaknesses. In fact, just in case we are tempted to cop a self-righteous, haughty attitude, our Scriptures always remind us from where we have come. Morally speaking, many of us had been the worst of the worst (1 Cor. 1:26-29).

Even now, I find that I need to continually confess my sins and my less-than-loving attitudes. In this, I find great comfort and healing. If I care about you, I will also recommend that you too confess your sins, turn from them, and trust in our Savior.

Please don’t think that I mean to minimize the great sacrifice that you will be making. However, it is worth it. There is something far greater to be had. In many ways, our Lord encourages us to simply try Him out:

  • Psalm 34:8-9 Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. Fear the Lord, you his saints, for those who fear him lack nothing.
  • John 7:17 If anyone chooses to do God's will, he will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own.
However, we all must make sacrifices for His sake and, ultimately, our own. I find that I have been so liberated and healed by following Him.

I would consider it a great honor to be able to answer any of your questions and even to be your friend.

(There is truly a great sense of peace and liberation in following our Lord in loving others, even the undeserving. This doesn’t mean that we cease being a light for His truth, but it does mean that any political or public activity that we pursue must not be at the expense of love.)

No comments: