Friday, June 23, 2017

WHO ARE WE? THE WAY WE THINK ABOUT OURSELVES WILL EITHER ENNOBLE OR DEGRADE US





Are our minds just complex bio-chemical machines – wet computers?

A computer can only see what it is programmed to see. Can our minds take us beyond our neuronal programming? Can we examine the paths that our thoughts take and go beyond them?

However, it seems that my mind is a tool at my disposal. It is my horse and I hold the whip. I can contemplate myself and make adjustments and corrections. I am free to choose against my impulses or for them.

Will my mind take me to where I want it to go, to investigate what has previously been uninvestigated, to think new thoughts, clearer insights, and to go beyond my present understanding? If my intuitions are reliable, I’d have to answer “yes!” If they are unreliable, perhaps I am just dreaming?

Instead, it seems that my mind is not locked into deterministic bio-chemical, formulaic circuits and patterns. It has taken flight and can go where it wills.

Who has given my mind its wings? The One who has created me in His likeness, the One who awaits me to join Him in His eternal home!

No comments: